Optopoculus Max - Hackathon Project
Everyone should feel the joy of playing music. Technology can help.
What it does
Design choices and algorhithms in music theory and signal processing give the end user a safe path to performing multiple types of instruments, including synthesizers, samplers, percussion, and microtonal effects.
How It Was Build
We utilized a dataflow programming language called Max with OpenGL for visuals. Max is traditionally a signal processing environment for audio and video. The music was originally composed in Ableton Live with virtual instruments and drum machines.
Bringing meshes into this environment was very difficult. It's good at using existing primitives and generating derivitive visualizations, however, traditional animation is not as accessible. It was challenging to navigate the balance between presenting a strong narrative experience and providing modern instruments for the user to explore their own creativity.
- stong narrative with good pacing
- intuitive and fun interactions
- musically expressive interactions
- thought-provoking musical interaction
- team was brutally focused on priorities for the deliverable
What we Learned
- its good to fail early (learn and move on)
- top-down design, bottom-up implementation
- need to establish and follow patterns for managing state in max/msp
- max/msp does not play well with text-diffing (git) -- I really miss branching and merging patterns on collaborative projects
- there is such a thing as too much pizza
What I Did
I recruited this team and founded the project. It was my direction to choose Max as a development environment. My other contributions included: programming scene sequence, U.I., sound design for one of the instrument scenes and audio sampler trigger playback, overall storyboard and interaction design experience.
- record/playback gestures to buffer
- more gestural tracking and guidance
- deeper interface with tonal elements
- multiplayer and distance jamming